Stop Talking! I Taped it!

If you tell anyone what happens, I'll find you and I'll kill you.What’s the expiration date for spoilers? You’ve all probably started talking about the latest episode of Lost or 24 and had somebody yell “nah-nah-nah-nah,” jam their fingers into their ears and run in the opposite direction.

I’ve been reading a lot about how our technologies are separating us and how we have fewer common cultural experiences. The theory is we all record our own shows and have very little crossover with each other.

That sure didn’t seem to be the case today in my office with the amount of chatter about the debut of the new season of 24. Everyone was talking about it, but as they did, hands started clamping over ears, with protests of “I taped it!” and “Stop, I’m watching it tonight!” peppering the conversation. This problem is getting worse with DVDs and people who wait to see the full-season.

How long do you have to watch your pop culture conversations? Do you give people a day or two? Until the next episode? It’s always been hard with reality shows not to find out who got kicked off the next day, so who’s responsibility is it? Do you need to ask “Has anyone not seen…” before you start talking? Even Lost star Evangeline Lilly spoke on the Golden Globes red carpet about having to be careful about reveling secrets when talking about her own show with people who aren’t caught up to the latest episodes.

So, how long do you have to keep quiet?

1 comment:

  1. I have no friends, ergo spoilerage is never a problem for me. As for spoiling it for others, how do you think I lost all my friends?

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+