Cinema Deja Vu

It’s not a good thing when you watch five trailers and you realize you’ve seen them all. It’s not like I’ve actually watched the films, but it certainly felt that way. They were: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Take the Lead, X-Men 3, Superman Returns and Poseidon. Remakes or sequels all.

Pirates is the second of three Johnny Depp vehicles. I liked the first, but there didn’t seem any need for a sequel. But it made it lot of coin, so I suppose it was inevitable.

Take the Lead is the only “original” of the bunch, Starring Antonio Banderas as a ballroom dancer who teaches inner city kids how to dance, it’s more familiar than Pirates. To Sir, With Love, Stand and Deliver, Lean On Me, Dangerous Minds anyone?

X-Men 3 is much like Pirates, a successful franchise that was bound to continue. No problem, I’m going to see it – there’s nothing like a good popcorn film and all superheroes need a trilogy.

But do they need a fifth movie? That’s what Superman Returns is, but it’s not a rethink of the franchise like Batman Begins, but a sequel that ignores two of the previous sequels. I’m not convinced.

Then there was Poseidon (for god’s sake, start the movie!), a remake of 1972’s The Poseidon Adventure and appears to be inspired by King Kong – remade because they can and ‘cause they figure nobody will remember the original. I think I’ll go rent it.

I know it’s not original to complain about the, um, lack of originality, but seriously, are there so few new ideas out there? Sigh, I guess I’ll just have to wait until Mission: Impossible 3 and Miami Vice. Oh, wait a sec…

4 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of Take The Lead yet...and it sounds like a skipper...BUT I do know this...it also sounds like a timely follow-up to the documentary Mad Hot Ballroom.

    --RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind sequels so much--well, ok, I don't think I'd like to see Predator vs. Paris Hilton IV, but what is up with all the remakes?

    Is there not one original idea left in Hollywood?

    I'm really enjoying your blog and your analysis.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool site, check out mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Predator vs. Paris Hilton IV? I dunno, I might actually go and see that. Thanks for the kind words, come back anytime.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+