We Are Siamese, If You Please

Walt Disney has a lot to answer for – and I’m not talking about secret Nazi affiliations or cryogenics. Ever since bringing Tristan home from the hospital, one of the most common questions we are asked is how are our cats reacting.

This is not your garden variety, “how are the pets doing?” question either. Why? Because our two kitties are Siamese. Ever since Lady and the Tramp came out in 1955, the relationship between babies and Siamese cats have been tainted. In the film, Si and Am prowl about Lady’s house, wreaking havoc and terrorizing the goldfish. Hearing a newborn they head up the stairs, singing:
Do you hear what I hear?
Ahhhhrr... a baby cry!
Where we finding baby
There are milk nearby!
If we look in baby buggy
There could be
Plenty milk for you,
And also some for me.
I am here to refute this uncalled for slur against the gentle, albeit loud, Siamese. Our boys have been nothing but friendly. Of course our friend’s Siamese is a crazed beast who makes Bucky Cat look like an, um… pussy. I wouldn’t let him anywhere near my kid. But I’m sure it’s just an exception to the rule.

Here is the clip, in Japanese for extra weirdness.

4 comments:

  1. I've owned plenty of Siamese cats over the years and in my experience they are very gentle creatures, albeit very outspoken ones, too. I've never seen them harm a baby. In fact, they are one of those breeds that seem to do well when it comes to children. Si and Am would seem to be very atypical when it comes to the Siamese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Siamese cats, beautiful creatures. Didn't realize they had such a bad reputation. Haven't seen this clip from Lady and the Tramp in ages, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have been exagerating a little, but they certainly have strong temperaments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it makes you feel any better, my parents went thru the same thing when my sisters and I were born. We had a Siamese and apparently everyone was convinced that he would smother us or something equally sinister. My grandparents were less than impressed with Kraise when they came over from England for Karen's christening. Upon their return to the UK, my grandmother wrote saying 'Beautiful daughter. Wonderful visit. When are you getting rid of the cat?' My father retorted with a hefty missive in defense of Kraise, stating that they had no intention of giving him up and that she ought to just stay away if she didn't like/accept the cat. Apparently Gran was so miffed that she wouldn't address my father for months! But that could've just been her staunch, British reserve...lol...Anyhoo, Kraise was brilliant with us kids and would never have harmed us. In fact, was very protective of us. I have all faith that Tuk and Thai will be awesome buddies for Tristan.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+