Garfield Out to Lunch



"Who would have guessed that when you remove Garfield from the Garfield comic strips, the result is an even better comic about schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and the empty desperation of modern life?"

garfield minus garfield is my new favourite site. I have no idea who created it but the results are erie and a little bit sad. I read the strip for years when it first came out but eventually moved on (and passed my collections on to my youngest sister). I'd never realized how disturbing Jon Arbuckle was until now, but I suppose I should have seen it. After all, he does think his cat can talk.

7 comments:

  1. It seems like the next logical step after removing Garfield's dialogue, which simply made Jon look like a lonely doofus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad, isn't he? Check out Marmaduke Explained (http://marmadukeexplained.blogspot.com/) for more comic oddness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read an article about this site a couple of weeks ago and meant to check it out.. and then forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I think it's brilliant. Garfield is one of those strips you love as a kid, and then you grow up and think, "What was I thinking?!" And now it comes off as some avant-garde strip with deep existential meaning. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd forgotten about this site too. So glad you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that's so brilliant. It seems so much more meaningful now... hilarious in a very sad and strange way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have it on an RSS feed now and Jon is just looking more and more deranged. The new ones are following the daily strip, so it is fun to compare the two.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+