Oh Lego, Has It Really Comes To This?

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Lego Minifigures the company has released a series of celebrity Lego minifigs, including such luminaries as Amy Winehouse, Brangelina, Madonna and the Beckhams (see below).

I was going to go into a rant about how sad it was to see Lego feeling the need to jump on the celebrity bandwagon and associate its bricks with some of the tabloids most popular denizens, but I'm beginning to doubt the veracity of these figures.

I don't doubt they exist, but I'm having trouble believing they are from Lego. I think someone has done a fabulous job and leaked them to the entertainment press that eats all things celebrity. In an effort to track down the original source I spent way too much time scouring the web and following links to find the original story or press release, but to no avail. All I came across was a checklist of all the news "sources" I used to use during my stint as a celebrity news writer. British tabloids and sites that all use the same, unattributed information.

Anyway, it was the 30th anniversary of the figures last month, so that much is true. And of anyone can find out who really created these, I'd love to find out. Even if it really was Lego. Until then, let's hope it really was just a celebrity-induced nightmare.

2 comments:

  1. No way these are real Lego pieces. Having these celebs on board would be a goldmine and Lego would be all over it if it were legit - press releases, photo ops, giving journos the figures at a major fill event (TIFF anyone?). It's textbook stuff. You don't soft launch it and wait for the world to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really did read wrong - funny how far it spread like it was the gospel truth. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, about the lax standards of the gossip press.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe
Google+